5 Tips for Designing the Kitchen of your Dreams
Kitchen Design – a guide to the kitchen you’ve always wanted
Is your kitchen looking a bit outdated? Are you interested in learning about how to design a kitchen that will meet your unique needs and ‘wow’ guests? Have you brushed up on the latest kitchen designs popular among Toronto homeowners?
In this guide, we’ll help you explore the evolving landscape of kitchen design trends and uncover five easy tips to design the kitchen of your dreams.
A Perfect Melding of Beauty and Function Starts with Planning
Better Homes and Gardens advises that careful planning is essential in order to ensure the end result is a kitchen that is as beautiful as it is functional. Consider the following tips on making sure your kitchen is one you and your guests will love and enjoy for years to come.
- Function and Purpose
The most important aspect of your kitchen is its ability to meet your needs and function optimally day to day. Although we all know to consider cooking and food preparation, that’s just the start. The kitchen is the heart of a home and the place where people gather, eat and hang out. Do you have kids who might need to work on homework at the dinner table? Do you host dinner parties and need additional room for people to stand?
Ask Yourself These Questions to Get a Head Start on Planning:
- What type of daily use will your kitchen get? Will you be hanging out there? Eating in the kitchen? Only preparing meals?
- What other daily activities might take place in the kitchen?
- Do you entertain and need additional space and amenities to support this (such as a beverage center or wine fridge).
- What type of seating arrangement do you need?
- Have you Heard of the “Work Triangle” Before?
The right Kitchen design in Toronto will take into consideration the “Work Triangle” as a key center of its plan. This area represents the distance between the sink, stove and refrigerator. Optimizing this area is a surefire way to create an efficient workflow and will allow you to move with ease between “workstations”. Trust us when we say that an optimally designed work triangle will make life so much easier and efficient.
- Kitchen Storage is an Important Consideration for Toronto Homeowners
One of the most often cited complaints about kitchens is the lack of space to store necessary items and appliances. Smart storage solutions and innovative shelving can optimize space, ensuring you get the most out of every square inch.
- Dedicated pot and pan drawers
- Pull out shelves
- Walk-in pantries
- Rotating shelving
- Spice drawers
- Hidden doors and storage under seating areas or in an island
- Lighting Considerations
There may be no other room in your home where lighting is as important as it is in the kitchen. But not just any lighting. The right type of lighting in style, design, positioning and more all matter.
A good designer will develop electrical layouts to accommodate optimal lighting that best highlights the style of your blueprints.
The Best Types of Kitchen Lighting to Consider Include:
- General lighting: this type of lighting is meant to provide simple illumination of the area as a whole and to disperse even light throughout the room.
- Task Lighting: designed to help you with a specific task. For example, “under cabinet” lighting or countertop lighting for “prep work” when cooking.
- Accent Lighting: while other lighting serves a function, accent lighting is ideal for highlighting various design features of your kitchen and to enhance the energy, ambiance and flow.
- Create a Wishlist Ahead of Time
Create a list of all the essential components, features, design elements, styles, colors, materials, appliances and more that you want/need in your kitchen.
Doing so will enable you to visualize the layout, determine what may or may not fit in the space, and effectively work within your budget.
Don’t forget to take into consideration the style and design of the rest of your home. You don’t want your kitchen to stand out as the “misfit”.
The Kitchen of Your Dreams is Within Reach
The kitchen is the heart and soul of your Toronto home. It is where you prep meals with love and care, entertain friends and family, and socialize with those you love.
The right kitchen design can improve your quality of life, improve efficiency, and enhance the value of your home, all while showing off your personal style. At Kitchen Land, they bring decades of experience to the table, offering homeowners a wide selection of high-quality kitchen renovation contractors options at a great value. Shoppers can explore their selection and order online, as well as schedule installation carried out by experienced contractors who adhere to all safety and distancing precautions.